St. Charles County lies to the west of the Missouri River and St. Louis County. It was formed in 1818 and was named after the City of St. Charles. The name "St. Charles" comes from the Catholic church, St. Charles Borromeo, that is located in the City of St. Charles. St. Charles County is made up of 17 communities and unincorporated areas that cover 592 square miles. To find out more information about any of those communities, visit our St. Charles County Communities page.
St. Charles County's eastern boundary begins at the point of the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. In fact, that eastern most point of the county is located in what is called the Confluence Point State Park. The Mississippi River and the Missouri River then form the northern and southern boundaries, respectively, of St. Charles County with the northern border continued west by the Cuivre River and the Big Creek. The western boundary is the imaginary straight line between St. Charles County and Warren County. That line runs from the Big Creek all the way south to the Missouri River roughly following and just slightly west of Highway T.
Some of the larger communities located in St. Charles County are St. Peters, O'Fallon, Wentzville, Lake Saint Louis and the City of St. Charles. Five public school districts serve the residents of St. Charles County which are Fort Zumwalt, Francis Howell, Wentzville, St. Charles and Orchard Farm School Districts as well as numerous private elementary and high schools. Lindenwood University and St. Charles Community College are both located within the county.
Below is a list of the communities, high schools, attractions, parks and other things that can be found in St. Charles County Missouri.