Historic Leclaire Village
Edwardsville, IL 62025
The Village of Leclaire was founded in 1890 by N.O. Nelson. who had a vision to create a factory town. His plumbing manufacturing and distributing company, N.O. Nelson, Co. was relocated from St Louis and built outside of Edwardsville IL. The Village of Leclaire was then built around it. The village of Leclaire was based on an idea to create an environment where the worker was content at the factory as well as being content in his home and community. The factory was built with the worker in mind. Large windows let in fresh air and sunlight. The village had a lake for recreation, tree lined streets and each worker had a home of his own on a large lot. N.O. Nelson was concerned for the total well being of his employees. They even enjoyed part ownership in the factory. Today the Village of Leclaire has most of the original structures and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Inventory. The Village hosts many events throughout the year.
Edwardsville-Glen Carbon Chamber of Commerce Website, Historic Leclaire Village Website