Old Courthouse

Old Courthouse

The Old Courthouse, a St Louis Landmark, is located in downtown St. Louis on land that was donated by Auguste Chouteau and Judge John B. Lucas to the city under the stipulation that it would forever be used for a courthouse. The courthouse that is seen today began as a brick building in 1828 and has undergone many periods of construction, demolition and renovation to become the beautiful building that it is today. In 1930 the new Civil Courts Building was opened and the "old" Courthouse was no longer being used as a courthouse so the city of St. Louis deeded it to the Federal government. It was then turned over to the National Park Service in 1940 and was incorporated into the Gateway Arch National Park.

Visit the Old Courthouse

Visitors can view exhibits that trace St. Louis' history and learn about the historic slavery trial of Dred Scott and his wife Harriet that was held there. It is listed on the National Park Service's National Underground Railroad "Network to Freedom" because of the Dred Scott case. There are also two restored courtrooms, one restored to its 1860's appearance and the other to its 1910 appearance. Many special events are held at the Old Courthouse throughout the year.

The Old Courthouse Hours

Admission to the Old Courthouse is FREE. The Old Courthouse is open daily; closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. See website for current hours.

Old Courthouse Address and Phone Numbers

Old Courthouse
11 North 4th Street
St Louis, MO 63102
877-982-1410

Old Courthouse Related Links:

Gateway Arch Website, Old Courthouse in St Louis - National Park Service Website

St Louis Missouri Real Estate For Sale

Homes For Sale: 14430
New Construction For Sale: 442
Condos For Sale: 1373
Commercial For Sale: 2404
Acreage For Sale: 1637
Multi-Family 2-4 For Sale: 488
Multi-Family 5+ For Sale: 95
Lots For Sale: 4273
Total Properties For Sale: 25142
For Sale Sign
Information Provided by M.O.R.E. - visit StLouisRealEstateSearch.com