The Peterstown House is located in Waterloo Illinois. It was built sometime in the early 1800's and was originally used as a general store, tavern, inn and stagecoach stop. This is the only stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trail. Over the years additions were added to the original building and it has had a variety of uses. The house was going to be demolished but was purchased by the Peterstown Heritage Society who then restored the house. In 1977, the Peterstown House was place on the National Register of Historic Places. Today a museum, run by the Peterstown Heritage Society, is located in the house featuring exhibits of furniture and artifacts of the mid-1880's. There are also two 100 year old log cabins that have been relocated to the property.
Admission is free to the museum, but donations are appreciated. See website for current days and times.
275 N Main Street
Waterloo, IL 62298