Shrine of St Joseph
1220 N 11th Street
St Louis, MO 63106
The Shrine of St. Joseph is located in the City of St. Louis, Missouri. It has been designated as a City Landmark and is also on the National Register of Historic Places. Jesuits founded the parish in 1843 to serve a congregation of German immigrants. The church building began to be constructed in 1844 on land donated by Ann Biddle, a wealthy widow, philanthropist, and daughter of John Mullanphy. The church was dedicated in August of 1846. The original building faced 11th street. Over the next 40 years, the church was enlarged and remodel two more times with the last being completed in 1881. These last two enlargements changed the orientation of the church to now face Biddle Street. In 1954, the two front towers were shortened for safety reasons.
The church is the site of the only authenticated miracle in the Midwest. The miracle happened in 1864 when Ignatius Strecker, a German immigrant, was healed from an injury he had sustained at work in 1861. His health had progressively worsened and his doctor eventually gave him only two weeks to live. Mr. Strecker, encouraged by his wife, attended a service at St Joseph when the visiting priest was blessing the congregation with a relic of Peter Claver, a man known to have the power of intercessory prayer. The noticeably sick and weak Mr. Strecker was allowed to kiss the relic and seemed to immediately regain some of his strength and within days returned to work and in a few months was deemed completely healed! The miracle was officially recognized in Rome by Cardinal Bianchi in 1887 and Peter Claver was canonized a Saint in 1888.
Tours are available after Mass every Sunday or special tours can be arranged by calling the Shrine.