The Yanda Log Cabin is located on Main Street in Glen Carbon, Illinois. The cabin was built in 1853 by William Yanda, the blacksmith of the Village. He and his wife, Annie Zeola, were immigrants from Bohemia, Austria. They raised 10 children in the cabin. Several descendants of the Yandas' lived in the cabin before it was eventually sold.
By the time it was sold, the cabin had gone through some modernization and it was thought to be just an ordinary "house". It was planned that the "house" would be used as a practice burn by the Village fire department, but when the vinyl siding was removed to do so, the historic log cabin was discovered underneath! All plans of burning it were stopped and Glen Carbon purchased the lot and the cabin in 1989 and began the restoration process.
Today the cabin is used for special events and is opened to the public. Admission is free. See website for current hours.
Yanda Log Cabin
148 Main Street
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
618-288-7271 (Heritage Museum)