The College Hill Neighborhood is located in North St. Louis. The history of name of the neighborhood comes from the fact that the area at one time was intended to be the site of a new campus for the St. Louis University. The intended use of the land was for a garden and recreational facilities for the university. SLU purchased the area in 1836 but decided not go ahead with their plans. But, the name stuck. The area began to be subdivided and developed as a residential neighborhood in the early 1870's. The borders of the neighborhood are West Florissant on the southwest, Ferry on the southeast, Interstate 70 on the northeast and East Warne to Adelaide on the northwest. Besides the boundary streets, other important streets to the neighborhood are Grand, Blair, College and others.
The most distinguishing landmarks for the College Hill Neighborhood are the two historic water towers located there. The Grand Water Tower (Old White) is located at East Grand and 20th Street and was put into service in 1871. The Bissell Water Tower (New Red) is located at Bissell and Blair and was put into service in 1886. Both towers are actually standpipe water towers that were used to equalize the water pressure in the city of St. Louis. They are no longer used or needed by the St. Louis City Water Division but are historically important architecture because there are only seven other such structures still standing in the nation. St. Louis has a total of 3 water towers with the "youngest" of the towers, Compton Hill Water Tower, located in the Compton Hill Reservoir Park.
The College Hill Neighborhood is fortunate to have one of St. Louis's oldest homes, the Bissell Mansion. The home was built in 1828 by Captain Lewis Bissell, one of the land owners of the area and nephew of General Daniel Bissell. It is located on top of the Mississippi River bluffs and the riverboat captains of the day called it "Bissell's Point". Captain Bissell lived in the home until his death in 1868 at the age of 79. Today it has been renovated and is the Bissell Mansion Dinner Theater.
Residents of the neighborhood are served by the St. Louis Public School District. The Bryan Hill Elementary School, built in 1912, is located in the neighborhood on Gano Ave. Bryan Hill School was designed by the famous St. Louis architect, William B. Ittner who was the Building Commissioner for the St. Louis Public School District which made him the head architect. From 1897, he designed 45 elementary schools and 5 high schools for the district.
Several churches are located in the College Hill Neighborhood. One of the oldest of them is St Paul's Lutheran Church which is located on East John Avenue. The congregation was organized in 1862 and the present church was built in 1926. The Mount Grace Convent and Chapel, home of the "Pink Sisters," is also located in the neighborhood and is on East Warne Avenue and was founded in 1928.