The Louis Bolduc House is located in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri. It was built in early 1790's by Louis Bolduc and his wife, Marie Courtois. This was the second home they built after the entire town of Ste Genevieve relocated further inland because of the flooding of the Mississippi River in 1785 which destroyed their first home. Using timbers from the Bolduc's original home, it was built in the French Creole style of architecture known as "poteaux-sur-sole" (post-on-sill), using vertical logs laid on a sill of wood or stone with a mixture of mud and grass between the logs. It has a double pitched hip roof using a Norman Truss system.
Today the Louis Bolduc House is a museum and is located on what is now the campus of the Centre for French Colonial Life along with three other historical homes: the Francois Valle II House, the Bolduc-LeMeilleur House, and the Beauvais Linden House. The Museum Campus offers guided tours of late 18th Century French Colonial Houses, weekly Homeschool programs, and hosts/participates in special events. See website for more information on annual events and daily hours.
Louis Bolduc House
The Centre for French Colonial Life
198 Market Street
Sainte Genevieve, Missouri 63670