The Village of Valmeyer is located in Monroe County. It was founded by German immigrants in 1909 and was incorporated in 1910. Important roads for the community are State Highway 156, Bluff Road, Woodland Ridge, and others.
The old village of Valmeyer was originally located in the American Bottoms. Several floods in 1910, 1943, and 1944 devastated the community. Levees were built and the village was protected from the subsequent floods until the Great Flood of 1993. Like many communities that were located in flood plains, Valmeyer was destroyed by the 1993 flood. The new village was relocated up on the bluffs which is about 400 feet higher than the old village. Before 1993, the population of the old Valmeyer was 989 residents. By 2010, the village had grown and surpassed its old population and was recorded as having 1263 residents.
The Valmeyer Community Unit School District #3 serves the residents of Valmeyer and provides an elementary, middle and the Valmeyer High School. The Valmeyer village park is located in the old village and features a baseball field, picnic facilities, half basketball court and more.
Valmeyer Illinois Village Hall
626 S. Meyer Ave
Valmeyer, IL 62295