Historic New Haven Missouri

Share |
 

Historic New Haven Missouri

· See Info
· See Photos
· See Events
· See Map

Historic New Haven Missouri

Historic New Haven, Missouri

New Haven Missouri is located in Franklin County, about 55 miles from downtown St. Louis. Located along the Missouri River, this historic town began as a riverboat stop. New Haven was originally called "Miller's Landing." It was founded in 1836 by Philip Miller who supplied wood to the steamboats that would stop there as they traveled up and down the Missouri River. Philip Miller's home, built in 1856, is the oldest home in New Haven.

John Colter and the Lewis and Clark Expedition

New Haven has an important link to the Lewis and Clark Expedition. John Colter, a member of the expedition and called the first "mountain man", settled in New Haven in 1810 on a farm after his many years of exploration. He is considered to be the first white man to see the Teton Mountain Range and to step foot into the region that is now Yellowstone National Park.

New Haven - National Register of Historic Places

Having been built in the late 1800's, much of downtown New Haven is still intact and is on the National Register of Historic Places as the New Haven Commercial Historic District. Today, the city is a thriving small community. Families are served by the New Haven School District and the Franklin County R-II School District. Many festivals and annual events are held throughout the year. New Haven is on the Missouri Wine Trail. Autumn weekends will find many visitors coming to New Haven to attend events put on at the Robller Winery and the Bommarito Estate Almond Tree Winery. The Riverfront Cultural Society sponsors many community events such as the Farmer's Market in the summer, live music and speakers, classes and many others. The Riverfront Cultural Society is located in the historic Mercantile building that was built in 1872 which was once the "general store" for New Haven. A residential area of New Haven is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places which includes part of Maupin Avenue and Wall Street.

A restored 1940's Art Deco movie theatre, the Walt Theatre, is located downtown along with the Visitors Center and Museum and the John Colter Memorial. The Central Hotel is a completely restored 1879 vintage hotel located in the second Historic District of New Haven. The Levee Walk, located along the Missouri River, complete with antique lamp posts and benches, is a great place for a relaxing stroll.

Historic New Haven Missouri Address and Phone Numbers

Historic New Haven Missouri
Franklin County
New Haven, MO 63068
573-237-3830 (Chamber of Commerce)

Photo Gallery for Historic New Haven Missouri - click thumbnails

Historic New Haven Missouri
Historic New Haven Missouri
John Colter Memorial
John Colter Memorial
Union Pacific Railroad Caboose
Union Pacific Railroad Caboose
Front Street in New Haven
Front Street in New Haven
John Colter Memorial
John Colter Memorial
New Haven Visitor Center-John Colter Museum
New Haven Visitor Center-John Colter Museum
The Central Hotel built in 1879
The Central Hotel built in 1879
One of the many beautiful churches in New Haven
One of the many beautiful churches in New Haven
The Levee Walk in New Haven Missouri
The Levee Walk in New Haven Missouri
The Levee House
The Levee House
New Haven Library
New Haven Library
New Haven Visitor
New Haven Visitor's Center and John Colter Museum
The Levee Walk in New Haven Missouri
The Levee Walk in New Haven Missouri
The Old New Haven Elementary School, Springgate Museum
The Old New Haven Elementary School, Springgate Museum
Do you have a photo for Historic New Haven Missouri? Send it to us! Submit Your Photo