Historic Elsah Illinois

Share |
 

Historic Elsah Illinois

· See Info
· See Photos
· See Events
· See Map

Historic Elsah Illinois

Historic Elsah Illinois

Elsah, Illinois was founded in 1853 by General James Semple who came from Kentucky and is located off of the Great River Road, through the opening in the bluffs between Mt. Radiance and Mt. Pisgua. It was originally very prosperous as a shipping town for the goods produced by the local farmers. Later Principia College became an important influence in its revitalization.

The Village of Elsah, nestled in its valley, is an excellent example of a 19th century Midwestern village with its stone cottages, most of which are built in the Greek Revival style of architecture. Many of the original structures are still standing in the village and have been restored or preserved with care over the century. The whole town was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Visit Historic Elsah

Today, the Village of Elsah is popular with visitors who come to the area for Bald Eagle watching or for the fall colors, as well as those who bike along the Sam Vadalabene Bike Trail. Several Bed and Breakfasts are located in Elsah and during the month of December, the town holds an annual house tour.

Historic Elsah Illinois Address and Phone Numbers

Historic Elsah Illinois
Elsah, Illinois 62028
618-374-1568

Historic Elsah Illinois Related Links:

Elsah Illinois Website

Photo Gallery for Historic Elsah Illinois - click thumbnails

Village of Elsah Village Hall and Museum
Village of Elsah Village Hall and Museum
Elsah School (now-Civic Center and Museum), built 1857
Elsah School (now-Civic Center and Museum), built 1857
Streetview of Elsah Illinois
Streetview of Elsah Illinois
Farley Music Hall, built 1885
Farley Music Hall, built 1885
Keyser Read House, built 1850
Keyser Read House, built 1850's
Welcome to the Village of Elsah Illinois!
Welcome to the Village of Elsah Illinois!
Riverview House (Greene-Felch), built 1847
Riverview House (Greene-Felch), built 1847
Streetview in Elsah Illinois
Streetview in Elsah Illinois
Stephany-Hoey House, built before 1861
Stephany-Hoey House, built before 1861
Reed-Cresswell House, built 1858
Reed-Cresswell House, built 1858
McNair House, built before 1859
McNair House, built before 1859
Ward-Rockabrand House, built ca. 1858
Ward-Rockabrand House, built ca. 1858
View of LaSalle Street
View of LaSalle Street
Principia College
Principia College
Roberta Simpson House, built 1856
Roberta Simpson House, built 1856
Keller Store (now LaSalle Street Bakery), opened 1879
Keller Store (now LaSalle Street Bakery), opened 1879
Onetto-Bradley House, built 1850
Onetto-Bradley House, built 1850's
Ruins of an ice house along Mill Street
Ruins of an ice house along Mill Street
The US Post Office in the Village of Elsah Illinois
The US Post Office in the Village of Elsah Illinois
The Elsah Methodist Church, built 1874
The Elsah Methodist Church, built 1874
The Village of Elsah Museum and Village Hall, built 1887
The Village of Elsah Museum and Village Hall, built 1887
The Village of Elsah Museum
The Village of Elsah Museum
The Village of Elsah Museum
The Village of Elsah Museum
Do you have a photo for Historic Elsah Illinois? Send it to us! Submit Your Photo